Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Newly Improved Overall Culture

Since adding the 2nd lamp with the 40 Watt bulb, the orchids have regained a much lighter foliage color.  I have also begun to rotate the pots atop the humidity trays to ensure they get different light levels as they grow.  The clamp light now has a 60 Watt bulb to compensate for the distance.  Combined, I am providing about 100 Watts of light to my 6 orchids.  It appears to be working well.  The plants have shown some immediate improvement; better color, perked up foliage, and no more mealy bugs.  The last one is the best benefit of all so far. 


The color of the foliage is not as dark as it was initially.  This was a clear indication that overall the orchids were not receiving as much light as they needed.  Once I added that second fixture and bulb, there has been substantial improvement:


I am now watering the orchids twice a week although the mini Phal needs to remain dry for an additional day or two on average.  I run the humidifier on low on most nights.  The plants get a consistent RH percentage of about 50-60.  I am certain through the Winter, I will need to raise the humidifier to be able to maintain the same levels once the heating comes on.

In the past, I always had issues with bud blast even in the Summer, but this is no longer the case.  Once someone suggested  it might have been a humidity issue and I am prone to agree with this assessment.  Without use of the humidifier, RH in my home tends to linger at or below the mid 30's.  Right now, the only orchid I have in bloom currently is Kitty White, but so far, all her buds are still developing and opening slowly.


Even the tiny, undeveloped buds at the very end of the spike are starting to develop slowly.


The grow lights stay on from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm daily (14 hours / day).  On days when enough light comes in through the window, I will slide the table closer to the window's edge to take advantage of the natural light.  But, these days, those days seem rather elusive.  So for now, this seems to be the alternative to making it through the Fall and Winter successfully.  I have also started rotating the plant's physical positions so each plant gets different levels of light, which seems to be working very well.

I also revved up the speed of the dedicated fan I run 24/7 for the orchids.  The air flow is much less static and seems to be benefiting the orchids consistently.  At first, I thought that running it on the second speed setting, would be too harsh for them, but they are loving it.

I feed the Phals every other watering with a weakened solution.  The Paphs are fed monthly with an even weaker solution.  Once a month, all the orchids also get some liquid kelp and a dosage of Superthrive.  The Paphs require a monthly sprinkling of lime as well.

I think I may have finally found what works best for my conditions...yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment