Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Friday, September 27, 2013

Kitty White Comes Home

I received my package from Norman's Orchids today.  I was so very excited.


I could not wait to open the box and discovered this was quite a large plant.


It arrived in a 4.5 inch  plastic sleeve packed really tightly in algae covered moss.  Having learned my lesson from past experience, I immediately began to repot the new plant.

It was then that I began to appreciate what a large plant this really is.   The foliage is about 1.5 feet across.  It is by far my largest orchid.  Upon carefully removing all of the moss, I found a little bug crawling around.  At first, I thought it was an ant, but no, it was a baby spider.  I continued working rapidly to rid the plant of all that nasty old moss, and the more I dug, the more spiders I found.  Lucky for me, they were more interested in staying buried within the depths of the moss, and a few jumped off the substrate I was disturbing and into the plastic bag where I was discarding all the old media.

I took the opportunity to trim a few yucky roots and decided to give the roots a nice shower under the massaging shower head.  I rinsed it for a good 5 minutes to ensure that not only any leftover spiders had been  dislodged and drowned, but that the roots were rinsed from any stray strands or moss, as well as, rehydrating the roots.

I then walked back into the kitchen and began repotting into my trusty Orchitop pot and Seramis Orchid Mix.  I must say I am glad I found this stuff because I really like how idiot proof it is.  Just right for me! 



There was some green gardening wire to protect the spike and brace it to the bamboo skewer it arrived with.  I removed this wire and used it to brace the plant to the pot itself.  Since it's such a large plant, it kept leaning and the sheer weight of it, was pulling the roots out from under the substrate.  The small piece of wire was perfect for holding it in place.


I then placed Kitty White in the growing area.  This coming Saturday when I retreat the rest of the orchids with the  Bayer 3 in 1, I will also treat her as well just in case.


What a stark contrast compared to the dainty Audrey 2 in the back right?


Kitty White's flower spray

No comments:

Post a Comment