Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

And Here's Rocky!!!

Recently, I ordered a species Paph named Paphiopedilum Sanderianum from a vendor based out of California, near San Francisco.  I was so very excited.  After all, the plant was advertised as being BS (Blooming Size), which means by next season it should be ready to bloom, and he described it as being physically 'nice' and very easy to grow.  I gave the grower my credit card number, address, and waited for my beautiful plant to arrive.  The picture he had on his website to show the plant was similar to this one:


What a beauty, huh? Yeah, that bloom certainly is! Even the plant is supposed to be quite striking; so healthy and vibrant:


 However, what I got was this:


The plant actually looks much better now that I removed several leaves with some areas of mystery very dark brown stuff that I wasn't sure if it was some type of fungus, rot, or severe sunburn or scale.  There were dozens of little holes in various sizes clearly showing some parasite or insects had made a meal of this particular plant.  I immediately dipped it in Physan 20, but this time, I used it at a much more diluted ratio, and left the plant sitting in a bucket for a good half hour or so.  I also cut away everything (leaves and roots included) that looked rotted or suspect.

The roots were in terrible shape.  Most of the roots near the base of the crown were completely rotted and black  There were more unsheathed wiry centers rather than viable roots.  I repotted the struggling plant in a 3" clear pot in an Orchiata based mix.  I took the precaution of treating the media itself with Physan 20 as well.  I didn't want to take any chances with this plant.  It was in such rough shape and I didn't want it introducing something that would wipe out the rest of my plants.

Normally, I would've sent the plant right back, but since the vendor is based in California, frankly, I am not sure I will be able to get my money back.  He seemed to think this plant was acceptable to sell.  How do you reason with that? To be quite honest, I was really upset, but decided to make the best of it, and simply pruned, treated the plant with the fungicide disinfectant, and repotted it.

I decided to name it Rocky because not only is it off to a rocky start, but if it does bounce back, the plant is definitely a fighter:


Only time will tell what will be Rocky's fate, but jeez, I feel totally cheated on this deal!



________________________________________________


Update

A few days later, I spotted the beginnings of some mealybugs setting up shop on my plant.  I immediately mixed a homemade alcohol and soap mixture and sprayed it all over the foliage.  The next morning, I also gave him a brief shower in the shower stall with our massaging shower head.  Who knows maybe it need a massage? (j/k)  But, in all seriousness, I have continued watering this way just to ensure the little buggers get the message loud and clear that they are not to return.

I am hoping this will be the end of the tribulations with this plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment