Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Moss Top Dress for Paphs

After doing some research online, I found out all of my Paphs (Paphiopedilums) need a calcium top layer above their media, particularly since our NYC water is so pure.  In their natural habitat, they grow in places where there are plenty of nutrients being washed onto them from the trees above.  They also tend to grow on or in between the rocks with limestone, dolomite, and other minerals.  So, it is important to routinely add calcium to the media.  From my readings, this top layer should be replaced at the beginning of each season.  Since my oldest daughter has a lizard as a pet, who also requires powdered calcium, I borrowed some temporarily to experiment with.

After adding the calcium powder,  I also moistened some sphagnum moss and laid it all along the top of the powdered calcium to seal the moisture into the media and protect any roots that were exposed to air from direct sun.  I also learned that this is something that Paphs appreciate since many of them grow in places where there is either a layer of leaf litter of moss growing on the rocks and trees they are close to.

If my Paphs were in their native habitat, they would all grow in India or in the kingdom of the Bhutan growing in pockets of humus on limestone mountain sides.

Wild orchids in their native habitat of the Bhutan

As with all changes regarding these slow growing orchids, improvements will be slow coming, but in the end, if it helps my plants, they are small easy fixes...so, why not?

Vino with this new top layer of moss and calcium

Rocky was also outfitted with a layer of moss and calcium

No comments:

Post a Comment