Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Seramis Clay Granules

Today, during one of my recurring visits to the orchid board,  I noticed someone on the forum had been raving about the Orchitop orchid pots.  They are made in Germany and not widely sold here in the US, but I managed to snag a clear one from Repotme.com.  On the Orchitop site, they also endorse something called Seramis in order for the pots to do what they were designed for.  They are clay granules, but only available in Europe.

The user on the board, who had been gushing about the pots, asked me if I was also using the Seramis granules.  I informed her that it would be impossible for me to get them in the US, but I had a similar product named Orchiata, but that it was rather expensive to use in such a large pot.  She completely surprised me when she volunteered to ship me some from the UK, where she lives.  She said the product is so ligth-weight that shipping would not be costly.  What a sweetheart! Just goes to show that people are full of surprises.  I honestly did not expect that, but since I was so curious about this product, I graciously thanked her for her generosity, and am so looking forward to my bag of Seramis clay granules.

I also learned today that the Orchitop pot is meant to be filled with the clay granules, and then watered by filling the saucer with water.  The water will wick up to the roots as needed.  This keeps the roots constantly hydrated, but also really well aerated as they were intended to grow in nature.  I will tell you, after seeing the roots of the Phals cared for by the board member, who recommended the pot and the Seramis combo, I did not dream that my Phal's roots could ever look like that.  I am definitely willing to try and see how it goes.  Right now, my Phal's roots don't look too hot in my opinion.  They are still struggling to recover from being tightly packed into Sphagnum Moss for so very long.  Ever since they were taken out of the Sphagnum Moss, they have looked a bit dehydrated on a regular basis.  The climate in my home is consistently pretty dry.  Personally, I would like to get them really nice and plump like in the picture below:


No comments:

Post a Comment