Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Newcomer to the Group

After losing Petaluma, I wanted to grab another orchid before the season was over.  I must admit at this point, the pickins were slim.  I went over to my favorite orchid shop and consulted my new friend there.  I asked him about the selection and was looking for a spotted white Phalaenopsis.  I was envisioning lovely magenta spots on a white background like this one:


But, as luck would have it, the 2 plants they had that looked anything like this were rather expensive and the leaves were in horrendous shape; the roots weren't very impressive either.  I didn't want to pay top dollar for an orchid that was already at risk for further problems down the line.  I tried to bargain with my friend, but since his supervisor was there, he was not as free to negotiate like before.  Instead, I opted to continue looking.

I then decided to simply purchase a white Phalaenopsis without the spots.  It is a more subtle type of beauty, but they are undoubtedly lovely nonetheless.  Without the spotting, the price also decreased, and I managed to get a 3 spike white Phalaenopsis with a well established aerial root.  The rest of the roots were a bit dessicated at the very top of the pot, but once I really thought about it, I realized it wasn't a bad thing.  Dry is definitely way better than soggy and rotting.  So I ended up choosing a new orchid to bring home.  I named her Snow White for obvious reasons:


Before repotting, the moss Snow White came in was packed really tightly and she had so many roots that I had to cut the plastic sleeve pot all the way down the middle to free her from it.   It also took quite a while as I patiently removed all the moss trapped within the well established and very crowded root system.  I did uncover some roots which were in the beginning stages of rot and although the roots at the very top were entirely hollow and shriveled, as you got deeper into the media, there were still spots where the moss was soggy.  Initially, as I squeezed the pot, trickles of water began leaking out.  This was not good!

Once all the roots were trimmed and that took a good long time as well.  It was difficult to discern which roots would recover and which ones were beyond saving.  I am still learning and I didn't want to cut too aggressively, but I also didn't want to leave anything behind that would invite opportunistic pathogens.  In the end, there were still a fair  number of roots left, and I made sure to also add that thick layer of styrofoam at the bottom to allow for really good drainage.  I also packed the bark mix rather lightly so a good amount of air would be able to circulate between the roots and cure any other roots which may have been on the brink of decline.



The flowers are really pretty although a bit small for such a tall plant.  I am not entirely certain if flower size is solely influenced by genetics or if culture determines the growth potential, or maybe, it's some delicate balance between the two.  I will definitely have to research this a bit more.  Only time will tell for this particular orchid, but for now, there are about 10 blooms which will open in a few weeks.





Right now, I just want to concentrate on keeping this Phalaenopsis healthy, and finally master the whole watering ritual now that I have my trusty fan to help keep my little growing area not only cool, but nice and aerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment