Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Window Privacy Film

Last year, in an attempt to entertain my cats, I installed a privacy film on our main living room window and a bird feeder.   It is a 6 foot wide window facing West.  The strongest surge of sunlight comes in during the afternoon and gradually fades until the evening.  The film basically works as a 2 way mirror during the day, which is how the privacy element is fulfilled.

At first, I contemplated having this job executed by professionals.  Everyone I had spoken to had such negative comments regarding window tints wrinkling, bubbling, or warping in some fashion that I was a bit scared.  I opted for the Gila brand, which we bought at our local Home Depot.  They have a great tutorial on their site and a section with tips for success; the stuff can be peeled off and reapplied until it fully sets about a week later so you have a large margin of error in case you screw it up.

Trust me, if my daughter and I can apply this film successfully, anyone can.  We are NOT the handiest women around.  Out of all the options I explored, the Gila film was the best option because of price point, availability, reduction in heat from sunlight, and the fact that the cats could watch the bird feeder all day long without the birds suspecting a thing even when the cats were at a very close distance, and finally, since we rent, we needed something that could be removed without ruining the glass underneath.

For the first time in years, after we applied the film, we were able to leave the vertical blinds completely open without anyone being able to see in.  The film also acts as an insulator during both of the colder and hottest seasons, which provides a cost savings in our energy bill. Recently, I have discovered yet another great benefit; the lighting filtered by the film is perfect for my orchids.  I can leave my Phal and my Paph right by the window atop their shared humidity tray all day long, and they receive just enough light to serve their needs while I enjoy the brightness the sunlight provides.  It is a win-win for all involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment