Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Had to Repot Marilyn

Yesterday morning, I went to water Marilyn and as the water hit the media and shuffled it around, her roots began to show a lot.  This continued as the water to flushed through the media and got to the point where it was very clear that the old pot was becoming a bit too snug for her.  The plant was quite unsteady now sort of bobbing up and out of the planter.  I will admit that I was hesitant to move her to the new 5 inch aircone pot, but since this is all I had, and she obviously needed more space, I went for it:

Marilyn in the smaller round pot

I couldn't see how in the world she would be able to remain in her old pot.  I decided to fill the bottom of the new pot with a large amount of styrofoam.  I figured by next year, I can begin decreasing that if need be, but the filler did decrease the substrate area quite a bit.

2"-3" of chunky styrofoam at the bottom of the pot

After I repotted her, I gave her a generous watering with very diluted fertilizer so the new media would soak up some of the nutrients for later use.

This morning, I went to check on her and she looks perkier.  I think the small pot was drying out too quickly as well so moisture in the media was becoming a problem.  I lightly misted the plants this morning and headed out the door.  It has been so very hot lately.  I know it's a bit against the Paph grain, but I honestly think she appreciated being repotted in a nice roomy pot.

This looks like one happy Paph

No comments:

Post a Comment