Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Minor Surgery for Audrey Today

This morning I brought in some first aid grade peroxide and powdered cinnamon from home as per the advice of the gurus from the orchid board.  I was able to disinfect my office shears and cut away a part of the leaf that had the black rot, but between the leaves, there was a pocket of it going through the leaf.  I dug out as much as I could so there was a hole in the underside of the leaf, but it had not gone all the way through:

It looks much worse in the picture, but all the black rot was scraped out of the hole

Once all the stuff was out of that crevice, I applied the peroxide to both the spot I had cut the leaf and the hollow hole you see above.  I then sat Audrey right in front of a small fan for a good 10 minutes to ensure everything in there was nice and dry.  Once I was certain that she had dried thoroughly I packed in the cinnamon to both wounds.


Here she is recovering post-op:


After surgery, she earned a nice watering and some much needed window time.  This time, I was very careful not to get any of her foliage wet and checked to see if the bottom of the pot was completely drained several times.  I don't want to take any more chances.

Hopefully, Audrey will make a full recovery and the rot will stop in its tracks.  It's just in a really bad spot if it were to spread.  From what I have read, she should be fine as long as I continue to keep the area dry and I definitely will be doing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment