Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Friday, June 21, 2013

Paph Orchids

12:00 pm
First, let me fully admit I have caught full on Orchid Fever.

"You can get off alcohol, drugs, women, food and cars, but once you're hooked on orchids you're finished. You never get off orchids ... never."

                                  - Joe Kunisch, Commercial Orchid Grower, Rochester, New York

I guess, luckily, I don't have the space at home to grow a large collection although I have spent more time than I care to admit thinking about how to make it happen.  It's funny how you start looking around your house attempting to map out ways in which you can move stuff to accommodate a shelf or two near a window, etc.

In the interest of keeping my still young addiction in check, I decided I only have room for 1 more orchid so I better make it count.  I am on the hunt for a Paphiopedilum or Lady Slipper Orchid or "Paph".  I am going to go and check out the numerous aisles in the plant district and see if I can find any.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing any, but then again, I have never actually looked for one, either.

_______________________________________

5:00 pm
So I did go to find my dream orchid, and asked about Paphs, but none of the stores had them.  Then, I went into one store, which coincidentally was the same store, I got Petaluma from, and they had them....just a handful of plants though, and surprisingly, they were tagged.  I managed to talk the guy into taking $5 off and once he agreed, they rung up my chosen plant.  Meet Vino, my new Paphiopedilum Parisienne Venus:

Don'tcha just love that mottled foliage?

I'm in love!
I then stopped by Jamali and picked up a new decorative pot in chrome, some jade stones, and a humidity tray also in chrome.  Besides spending too much money, I also discovered I have room for one more Paph on the tray...oh, my!

No comments:

Post a Comment