Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Friday, June 28, 2013

My New Dream Orchid

As I have stated previously, I have one spot left in my limited amount of space for orchid growing at home.  I already have my eye on a prospective plant.  It is the lovely Paphiopedilum Oberhausen's Diamant:


I spotted some currently in stock from Carter and Holmes, which are NBS (Near Blooming Size), or that the plant is expected to bloom within the next 12-18 months.  It will be a change for me to buy an orchid with no blooms, and to have to wait for them for at least a year.  They are being grown in a 4 inch pot.  This is also a non-mottled leaf Paph, which will add more variety to my small collection.  I am just hopeful that they will have some still in stock by the time we get back from vacation.

Or

The other option is to buy the plant from Kalapana Tropicals in Hawaii.  They have plants which are now of blooming size.  The main difference is that their plants are already in a 5 inch pot.  Since my Aircone pots are also 5 inches, I am more inclined to go with this nursery.


I found out shipping from Hawaii will be $16 and the lead time is 2-3 business days from the time the order is placed.  I am going to wait until we get back from vacation since I don't want to buy a new plant that may be stressed out when I have to leave for a few days while still adjusting to its new home.  An additional stressor would be me still trying to figure out what to do to make it happy.  I would rather wait and make sure I can take the time to patiently learn to grow it successfully.  However, I would be totally lying if i did not admit that I cannot wait until I can place my order and secure one of my very own!

No comments:

Post a Comment