Blog Design

_________________________________________________________

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New Paph Bloom

Being so new to orchids in general and even newer to Paphs, I noticed Vino had something going on in the back.  Of course, I can't claim to have seen this in the store.  I was more intent on being able to pick out a Paph from a Phrag (Phragmipedium orchids) since they look so similar.  However, the care is very different.  Phrags need a lot more constant moisture and usually require additional lighting while Paphs are more akin to Phals.  I figured since I have been doing well with my Phals, I would be able to make a Paph happy.  It was clear to me that in my household, Phrags would be high maintenance plants...no thanks!

I also realized that once I got home, the tag that was in Vino's pot at the store, mysteriously disappeared.  I think this was an honest mistake, and that the salesman was just trying to make the plant look as pretty as possible for me.  I will try going back on Monday, and if I can't get another one from another of the leftover plants from the same stock, at least to jot down the information for my records.

So, once home, I began inspecting my new plant and found this:




I asked more versed orchid growers and it was identified as a new bloom...more flowers on the way...hey!!! One of the interesting things about Paphs is that they are grown from seeds, so no 2 are exactly alike.  The other interesting thing about them is that they usually only put out 1 flower at a time.  I will have to wait and see what ends up happening, but either the flower I have now will die off and  the new one will bloom or I will have 2 flowers on the same spike.  Either way, very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment